Tuesday, October 06, 2026

I visited the Country Bookshop in Plainfield, VT recently

 That was an adventure. Plainfield was an old mill town that happened to have a liberal arts college, Goddard College, open at the outskirts of the town (locals call it a village). In 2024 the college closed but is being reborn at a "creative campus". I wanted to check it out, see the town, take it all in. There had been damage to the village in 2023 and 204 due to flash flooding which did affect The County Bookshop, unfortunately. I happened to drop in shortly after the owner had decided to sell his home (which also is the book store) to the local Historical Society. 

I spent a few hours in the store which housed 70,000+ books and ephemera. I could have spent more time and money there but knowing one's limits is an important safeguard to have. As it was, I got 52 chapbooks from the Bookshop. Many from the area. Many I had never heard of or seen before. All of whom I will be mentioning here in due course. 

No comments: